Thursday, September 12, 2013

What I would say, what I would do.


It is not my intention or my design to burden you with the details of every bad day my line of work presents, due to legal constraints but also a personal desire to hold myself in a posture of class.

In college there was a lot of stress [<- HA! (you will get the funny later :D)] on self-care. Self-care for those who may not know “refers to actions and attitudes which contribute to the maintenance of well-being and personal health” it’s really important for success at any job, but more specifically in jobs of high stress [did ya get it??] How do I leave it all at work and not bring it home with me? This is something that I was actually pretty nervous about, because ever since I can remember, my heart broke easily for those who are in need. Sometimes the sorrow I felt would bring me to tears, other times….I would be enraged. I won’t deny the pain I feel in my heart for my kiddos and the bitter anger at the situations they have witnessed and endured, but leaving it at work is almost easy. I think being saturated in it for a solid 8 hours at a time makes it easy to wipe my hands clean at 4pm and walk away to recharge to go at it again. It’s a blessing that it’s easy. I don’t feel guilty that it’s easy, but should I? On the days that the 15 minute drive home isn’t enough to find the calm after the storm – I do self-care. Self-care looks different day to day. Sometimes a hug from my favorite kiddos at home is just what the cardiologist calls for. Yesterday, it started with writing, and then it proceeded with a long walk plugged into my iPod and my camera taking note of the little things. Take a moment with me, to look at the intricate, and the beauty. Much Love, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment