Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Check It: Reality

I was facilitating a group last week regarding the topic of Aretha Franklin's ever popular song R.E.S.P.E.C.T.  and was quite frustrated by the end of it all. No sign of active listening skills (you know: quiet mouth, eyes on the speaker, listening ears). A few days later in the flow of natural conversation I was reminded that not everyone is raised with the standards and expectations my parents instilled in my brothers and I. Some kids are handed the disservice of not being taught kindness, how to share and get along with others and other social skills that I certainly take as common knowledge and for granted as if we are all born with them. So how can I hold such a high standard for my kiddos if they don't have a foundation from which those standards are built? One step forward, two steps back.

No comments:

Post a Comment