Saturday, August 24, 2013

"The Dark Side"

Remember how I was going to take pictures of camp and tell ya all about each aspect of this place I now call home? Remember how I said there were 3 different locations to camp that encompass a lake? Well, I finally took pictures of Wagon Train (known as "the dark side" by Lake Side-rs). I personally loved Wagon Train the one week I counseled over here in 2011. Slower pace, fewer competitions that were more for fun than for the sake of winning. The focus for everyone was really centered on furthering the Gospel of Christ and it was noticeable. This camp, due to it's size can only accommodate for 60 people (that number includes staff.) Having the fewer numbers, the smaller space gives this camp a close-knit atmosphere - you aren't on top of each other in a crowded sense but everyone knows everyone by the end of the week. At Lake Side, you can have anywhere to an upwards of 150 campers on any given week...probably more.

So, Wagon Train. What comes to your mind when you hear this????

The Oregon Trail maybe?

Cowboys perhaps on horses?

Rustic (meaning - no plumbing and very little electricity/heat)?

YES YES and YES!!!

Campers sleep in covered wagons (often referred to as "Wabins" derived from the combining of the terms "Wagon" and "Cabin"). Horses are ridden with a rodeo/carnival at the end of each week to show off their horsemanship skills.

The kitchen at Lake Side provides all the meals to Wagon Train (apart from Friday morning breakfast....I'll get to that later...or now). Breakfast on Friday is a spectacle and one that should not be missed. A real camp cook out. Pancakes, Eggs and Bacon cooked over the fire. Man, I'm making myself hungry.

Hmmm, I think that is pretty much all of it. Oh, yea....I didn't get any pictures of the swamp/wooded area - which is one of my favorite parts on this side of the lake. BUT, I will see what I can do for the sake of you all....wouldn't want you missing out on anything. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment