Monday, June 3, 2013

Driving: Day 3

My inclination is to just go to bed tonight, skip the writing. But then I look at the clock and it shows 8:30pm and the light outside my window misleads my brain into thinking that it could be 2 in the afternoon at the latest. Dinner tonight was at a quaint 50's style diner with murals of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis, the waitresses dressed in poodle skirts and....sneakers? I wanted to complain that skater shoes were ruining the ambiance of the place that instead they should be sporting roller skates but that would have been the weary traveler mindset taking over, instead I sat quietly and inhaled my food.

Today by far was the most gorgeous drive yet, still surrounded by ceaseless trees, with grandiose mountains shooting up to the skies, capped with snow. The day started with thick fog with very poor visibility driving along narrow highway roads up and down 6-9% grades.....if only I had the Misty Mountains song on my iPod, the moment would have been like my own little Hobbit adventure!



After we drove out of the haze, we saw some pretty rad sites and animals....most of which are documented on my father's tablet. Speaking of which, I should introduce you to the man who I co-pilot for. There he is, on the right...being a goof. The woman on the left is his wonderful wife, my mom! HI MOM!!! Anyways, dad's name is Joe - car salesman at Billion Dodge in Bozeman (hint hint wink wink) He's a pretty serious guy, until he cracks a joke or says something witty then all bets are off! It was so hard to leave Bozeman because of these two folks. They are my security net and I dread having to say goodbye to my Dad in a few days, but this is a growth opportunity and it's time to cut the umbilical chord.

Back to the drive.

We saw large lakes, big rivers, huge mountains and a fair number of animals - including a squirrel!! Animals spotted: Black Bear, Buffalo, Fox, Wild Horses (sadly, no image was catpured), possibly a grizzly, deer, big horn sheep, questionably elk,caribou or moose (of the cow variety), roadkill porcupine and most regrettably I saw a little red bird bouncing on the road in my rear view mirror after I drove over it. moment of silence please.



I almost forgot to mention that I am now at Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada.

*The Strangest Things*
~I honor the "don't put this on your blog" request so sadly, one of the funniest comments made today will not be appearing here. :(
~"They are the equivalent of a barnicle on the bottom of a boat....they just wont let go" - radio dj describing the number 1 band for the 3rd week in a row

I'll post more pics as dad emails them to me, Much Love!
Rachel




1 comment:

  1. ha, last comment for the day I promise! Misty Mountain song? Are you talking about the zeppelin? The hobbit gave it away, im impressed. Ok take care!

    ReplyDelete