Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Driving: Day 4

Is it Tuesday? I just can’t keep my days straight with all the mileage and trees I have crossed these days. Today’s drive was a rather boring one, and while it was the shortest by far….it was rather dull. At least until we got to Burwash and encountered the dreaded frost heaves, then it was turbulence which if played out right you could imagine yourself on either an airplane (which is terrifying) or a roller coaster (equally terrifying but accepted as fun) so my friends, I encourage you to throw your hands up and ride the “coaster” as your car is thrown up and down, being tossed side to side, darting pot holes, climbing hills, curving left and right with the road….this is certainly not for the weak stomach.

The sites, when there were sites to see, were quite gorgeous. We drove alongside enormous mountains and a 35 mile long glacier fed lake, few animals were spotted – sadly, wild horses were not captured yet again – the only animals on the road today. Dad was praying for Caribou but nothing of the sort materialized. At this point, all the wishing in the world for critters to appear and seeing all the trees flash by in a blur caused me on many occasions to imagine them up in the trees, yesterday I even saw a Squatch!

We have found that radio signals are few and far between in no man’s land, and unless you prefer listening to your tires cruise down the blacktop (which at times I think my dad does) you best be having cassettes, CDs, mp3 or satellite radio to keep you bopping along. My iPod battery life only lasts a few hours so THANK GOODNESS that my Jeep (Cheryl) is equipped with an outlet! That’s right! Plugged in my docking station and the tunes kept on rockin’!

Many of the places we passed along the way were abandoned towns and the ones that had “civilization” were run down and fairly desolate. One of these places was Burwash Landing, the last place to get fuel before the border. The kid at the register was about my age, early 20s. As we pulled away leaving Burwash in dust I wondered about the quality of life kids have in these towns. Locally owned and operated, kids are raised with the expectation I’m sure of taking over one day. But I wonder: do they have the opportunity to leave, to go to college or the freedom to follow their dreams? The social and economic pressures to stay in these Podunk towns, in my mind are heavy. Anyways, I hope they aren't oppressed and burdened with living in a rural area.


*The Strangest Things*
~ Canadians do in fact say “aye” – but not as often as I thought
~ “We will drive through fire and water but we are not driving 600 miles to Fairbanks” (I was laying down the lay in regards to a potential "detour" as Tok was flooded and warning of wild fires)
~ “55! I’m so excited.” “But dad, it’s so slow!” “But it’s a REAL speed!”


Here’s to Tok’s self-flushing toilets!!!!
Much Love.

Did I mention that I am now on American soil??? No?! Well, I am OFFICIALLY IN ALASKA!!! Tok, AK to be exact. Tomorrow I will be sleeping in my room/bed for the summer in Soldotna and will be reunited with my best friend whom I haven't seen in over a year. I can't handle the excitement..

No comments:

Post a Comment